Has your office done away with paper and transitioned over to digital documents yet? If not, you’re not alone. Studies have shown that many businesses are still reliant on paper for their day-to-day operations. But it doesn’t have to be this way. The technology exists to take your office paperless, or at least reduce your paper use to a trickle. Digital documents are easier to store, send, search and collaborate on than hardcopy documents.
The average office worker uses 10,000 sheets of paper every year. – The Paperless Project
Here are some more benefits of going paperless and some tips on how to get there!
The Benefits of the Paperless Office
While going completely paperless might not be practical, there are plenty of simple steps you can take to reduce paper use in your office. Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy!
- Less Clutter – Less paper = a cleaner office!
- Faster Access – No more searching through files. A few mouse clicks and you’re there.
- Faster Disaster Recovery – Digital backups mean that in the event of a disaster or data breach, you can be back up and running fast.
- Sustainability – Paperless means using less consumables like toner and paper, and less energy, saving your big!
- More Efficient Workflows – Digital documents are easier to deliver and track. Delivery can be automated to ensure faster response and approvals, saving time.
These are just a few of the benefits of taking your office paperless.
Making the Transition
Taking your office paperless won’t happen overnight. Taking some simple steps can help the transition. For example:
- Analyze Your Current Output – Track all print output to determine a baseline and see where you can make some changes.
- Calculate Potential Savings – Track all print related expenses. Make sure to include printers, toner, paper, repairs, storage and tech costs. This can help you realize cost savings.
- Move Document Storage and Applications to the Cloud – Reduces printing and keeps documents accessible.
- Scan Paperwork and Sign Digitally Whenever Possible
- Update Your Technology – Multifunction printers allow you to digitize documents to eliminate the need for printing.